Lichfield RUFC are now appealing the decision by the RFU to exclude Lichfield Ladies from the new women's elite competition.
- We have still not received any further clarity on why we were not selected. As we have commented in previous statements, we strongly refute the summary reasons that were initially provided.
- Having taken legal advice and assessed our potential grounds for appeal, we submitted our written intention to appeal on March 8th. As yet we have not been informed as to the format that this process will take.
- We continue to be delighted by the support we are receiving from so many people within and beyond the rugby world. Everyone we have come into contact with at other clubs and across the media support our view that the decision is both unjustified and unfair.
- The online petition has now been signed by more than 5250 people. https://www.change.org/p/rfu-rfu-to-review-lichfield-ladies-bid?recruiter=374232268&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink
- Throughout all this we have tried to maintain a polite but resolute position – both directly with the RFU and through all of our communications via the press and on social media.
- We continue to support the players and the coaches of Lichfield Ladies as they are the ones that are most affected by the real impact of this decision.
- They still have a great chance to win this season’s Women’s Premiership and despite everything else that is going on around them they are obviously trying very hard to retain that focus.
If anyone wants to show further support for our fight please join us at the Lichfield Ladies next home game – their last premiership match, against Richmond on Saturday March 25th. We are hoping that this will be a real celebration of everything the Lichfield Ladies have achieved over the last 15 years in the top level of English women’s rugby. Admission for this and the preceding Men’s First XV league match will be free and we would love to see as many as possible at Cooke Fields.
Lichfield Rugby Club